Saturday, July 23, 2011

How has service blessed your life?

"Harold B. Lee once said: “If you want to love God, you must learn to love his children and to love serving his children. No person loves God unless he loves his service and unless he loves our Heavenly Father’s children.” Conversely, Deiter F. Ucthdorf said: “The divine love of God turns ordinary acts into extraordinary service.” I have come to know that service, and love are inextricably connected. With service comes love though not in the way I initially believed. The person receiving the service does not necessarily love the person making the sacrifice. That person may not even realize a sacrifice is being made. The person giving the service, when offered with the humble motive of love of God, gains love for those he serves. The more he serves the more he loves and the more he loves to serve. The thing most intriguing to me about this principle is that love is expansive. When we humbly serve a person and gain love for them, it does not diminish in any way the love you have for others. Our capacity to love knows no bounds. When we serve others, and feel our love increase, we truly glimpse the infinite! Service has made all the difference in my life in bringing me closer to God by the realization that the human condition is universal. Know one individual can lift himself above another, We all stand in need of the service Jesus Christ offers to be made whole."

-Maury


"Service is the way we show love, care, and charity for all of God's children. I have learned that it is the small and simple acts of service we do each day that lift heavy hearts and bring relief to the secret suffering of those around us. I asked my dad one day what i could do to serve my family even though i am away at college. He said that i should take care of myself, and do well in school. This was very meaningful to me, and i think my father is very wise. He knows that i have a desire to help my family, and while i am away, the best i can do that is through my good example to my younger brothers and sisters, as well as my success in securing a future for myself so i will not have to be a burden to my family at a later date. Through visiting teaching, i have learned that i can serve my girls everyday by praying for them by name, and trying to include their specific needs in my communication with Heavenly Father. It is always so touching to me when hear that others pray for me, and it is a pleasure to serve my friends, ward members, and family through heartfelt prayers in their behalf.

Service blesses my life because as i serve those who are hard to love, i develop a love for them, and begin to understand them and their needs. This lifts the burden of my own pride from my shoulders as i let go of preconceived notions about some people and love more freely. I often feel a sense of accomplishment, a peaceful feeling, and a feeling of joy come into my life when i serve others. Those i serve often help me more than i help them in the process. One example of this was when i recently went to a nursing home to sing to the elderly there with a group of my girl friends. I was worried because i do not always know what to say to people who are in a different stage of life than me, and it is often difficult for me to interact with these people because i am shy. However, after we sang to this particular group, they cheered us on and asked for more singing. The residents were so welcoming, so kind, and complimented us many times on not just our singing, but also our personalities. They asked us to come again soon. I left the nursing home full of love for those people, and with a huge smile on my face. I know that as i strive to serve others, i will become more like Jesus Christ."

- Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send postings to
hislovingarmsblog@gmail.com